Starlizard uses a combination of cutting-edge research, analytical thought and a constant desire to question and improve, to maintain our position at the forefront of the sports betting market. This is a unique opportunity to join a successful and pioneering sports betting consultancy.
What type of candidate are you?
The ideal candidate will be a recent graduate with strong mathematical and numerical aptitude. A genuine interest in cricket is essential, you’ll need to enjoy watching a lot of cricket played at different levels and in different formats.
The ability to work quickly and accurately under pressure is also essential. You’ll be comfortable working independently at times although working effectively with other members of the team is essential.
Previous familiarity with betting or financial markets is desirable, but not essential.
What will you be doing?
Working with an established small team, the successful candidate will watch live cricket matches and apply existing methods to identify value bets on behalf of clients. There will also be an opportunity to develop new methods, depending on your experience and capability to continually improve our processes and decisions.
Researching matches, players, grounds and tournaments is also a core part of the role.
This job requires a confident approach to managing risk and making significant financial decisions.
The role requires a flexible approach to working hours as dictated by the cricket schedule, and will regularly include weekends, early mornings and evenings.
What skills will you have?
- A 2:1 or higher in a bachelor’s degree in any discipline
- An A in Maths A-Level
- A passion for cricket, and a detailed knowledge of current teams and players
- Experience with statistics and programming may be beneficial
How To Apply?
If you are interested in finding out more, please answer the following questions in a covering letter and send along with your CV using the upload option on the right hand side of the screen:
1. If you were tasked with making a living from betting on sports for a year, how would you go about it (assuming you were given a healthy starting bank)? Do you have any prior experience betting?
2. What format of cricket are you most interested in and why? Which tournaments / leagues do you follow? Do you have any personal playing experience?
3. Are there any technical skills you acquired in your degree / current job that you think would help you in a role as a Cricket Betting Analyst at Starlizard?
4. You are appointed Head of Recruitment at Mumbai Indians ahead of the 2023 IPL season but are only allowed to retain 3 of last years team in your squad. Which 3 players do you retain and why?